Followers

Saturday 7 June 2014

Sunshine for Ponty

Oh my, did we have rain last night, it came with glorious Technicolor and surround sound, AKA a full on electrical storm. By 6:00 am it was bright sun, this faded to grey rain clouds which managed to disperse long enough for Ben to have a good walk before we went into Pontardawe to have a look at the Festival held by the RFC.


The parade was led my this colourful group.



Closely followed by the Belly Dancers, just what you expect to find in deepest South Wales.


Now this was more typical, and very good they were as well.


The children not only looked good, they sounded good later when they sang to us.


Then the Scot,s came along and really lifted the clouds with their lively music, I do like a pipe and drum band.


Ben had a wonderful time, there were dozens of children almost queuing up to stroke him, and quite a few adults too.

We had a look at the stalls but did not find anything to buy. I did partake of a burger, just to support the day of course, and it was not too bad at all.

I did do some work before I went out. 2 large and 2 small boxes of fabric have been emptied and the contents more or less organised.



These shelves hold about half my fabric stash that is 1 yard cut on the left and 1/2 yard and less on the right.
I still have a lot left to sort through including all the 2 yard and bigger cuts.



My new machine, waiting patiently to be unpacked and set to work.
Once Ben has had a check up on Monday I will be opening the box and my fabric, threads, rulers and all the rest of my  paraphernalia will be ready to use. My fingers are twitching.


Back to the festival.

Because we had 2 very hot days the ground was fairly hard and the rain that fell last night caused this.


It was a quagmire,


Plastic mats were laid around but several stall holders decided not to attend.


Buzz was there, just in case anything untoward happened.


There were enough balloons for an airlift out.


And the Scots were there to provide back up muscle to the Rugby Club, as if they would need back up forsooth.

Reasons to be grateful.

1.  As always the sunshine gets my vote.

2.  Fun was had by all.

3.  Ben enjoyed every minute, stroke and pat.

4.  The music was good.

5.  There was cake, lots of cake, the Bara Brith was sublime.

On that note I am off to get the kettle on, I need tea.  I am making Cullen Skink for dinner, yummy. I have not made it for ages and as I have some smoked haddock in the freezer and a couple of lonely potatoes to use up, it will do very nicely.

      TTFN                                                    PAM








14 comments:

  1. You have been busy! with lovely pictures as always.

    Thanks for the info yesterday. I have a special shampoo for Womble and we keep him clipped short as well. I have put a coat on him and that stops him scratching straight away so I wonder if some may be habbit?

    Wouldn't it be easier if they could talk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read somewhere that a fairly strong chamomile tea makes a soothing wash, I
      used some yesterday to wash his eyes as they were a bit gummy.

      Delete
  2. Glad you're settling in where you are and getting out and about. Looks like you enjoyed your day and Ben enjoyed all that attention. You are well organised with your fabrics. I think I'll have to get shelves for mine. At the moment it's all in plastic storage boxes but I have to get everything out when I need to find something. It would be so much better if it was more on display so I could easily see what I have. We've had a downpour and one thunderclap early this morning but then it cleared up and its been really hot and sunny ever since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have another wider set of shelves to take the larger bolts and, hopefully, all the bits and pieces of hardware and my tins of trimmings and buttons. I have so many duplicate fabrics just because I could not see what I had that I knew I had to get it all in one place on display.

      Delete
  3. That looks like a colourful day out. I need to do something like those shelves, all my fabric in in a HUGE PILE and of course I ALWAYS NEED the one at the BOTTOM!!! Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased to get all those shelves set up, I can see instantly what I have and how much. It used to take ages rootling through my plastic boxes looking for a certain fabric.

      Delete
  4. Glad you have settled in ok we are off to Wales for 2 weeks next weekend, I can't wait, looks like you had a lovely day out, I love your fabric stash, I got my sewing machine last weekend, I am new to sewing, but have managed to take up several pairs of jeans, I am looking for some patterns so I can start making some bags, aprons that sort of thing, are local charity shop sells fabrics for 50p each , all shapes and sizes, just building my collection, but I'm itching to get sewing, x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have a great time in Wales, you will find all the patterns that you need on the net. I have not found fabric in a charity shop but use them to find cotton shirts and vintage cotton sheets. Curtains are a good source of heavier fabric and you get the lining as well.

      Delete
  5. can't wait to see what you get up with your new machine. Hope Ben's check up goes ok on monday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I a going to make some place mats and a table runner to get used to her. Then I have 5 quilt tops ready to layer and quilt. That should keep me busy for a while.

      Delete
  6. Have you considered applying for an allotment, bearing in mind you drive and will be staying in the area, and I reckon I am not alone in missing your horticultural postings :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are no allotments in the village but there is a gardening club in Brynamman and allotments there. While my sciatica in still flared up I can not think of it. I have found a friend with a large garden in the village and we have talked about me helping her to get that under control. I do miss my garden.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Gosh I would leap at that opportunity with your friend, just so long as you are able to do what you want, after all isn't gardening about the freedom it gives us as individuals, just like reading a book?! ;-)

      And what on earth were you doing up at 3am, I thought country living was about sleeping from dusk 'til dawn?

      Delete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.