Followers

Saturday 3 January 2015

Oops, 3 days in and off piste already.

I have selected a magazine to kick of my other goal for this year.

 
An old copy of this magazine, I confess that I did not choose it at random, I had a book mark in it at something that I wanted to make. Of course I put it away and promptly forgot about it, then earlier today I had a reminder when reading a blog post.
I do like any patchwork made with HST, and I have not used them to make a chevron pattern, yet.

 
These solid cushions are pretty, but I am a scrappy girl at heart and as you may remember I have rather a lot of cushions.
 
I had a little rootle through the fabric and found some patterned Charm Squares and some white on white that read as solids. Sooooo I paired pattern with white right side together, 42 pairs. Sewed round the outside with a 1/4" seam and cut twice on the diagonal, result 4 HST from each pair.

 
 
I have laid a few out to give myself and you an idea of what the outcome will be. This will be a small quilt, I have not done any math as I am not worried about the finished size.
 
Once I have got all the squares out I can decide then, also whether or not to add a border. The only problem is that there are no new babies in the family, or any expected. I may be able to stretch it to cot/first bed size, time will tell.
 
The weather today was a mixed bag, torrential driving rain in the early hours, heavy drizzle at first walk time and bright sunshine by lunch.
 
Dinner is meatballs with pasta, Fran's request. I made them this morning and tweaked my usual tomato sauce recipe to make it a bit barbecueish.
 
Fran and I will eat soon and then we are going to watch the third Indiana Jones film, you know, the one with the worlds sexiest OAP in. That is Sean Connery of course.
He popped up in something that Fran was watching last night, he played King Arthur.
 
I was pootling about and just saw bits and pieces as I went back and forth.
 
Have a good evening, I intend to.
 
            TTFN                                                           Pam
 


18 comments:

  1. Hi Pam, Happy New Year, lots of ideas there to keep you busy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have more ideas than time, and that is no bad thing. I am never bored or idle, when I do sit and watch TV I have something in my hands to work on, otherwise they might be holding chocolate.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to seeing the quilt when it's finished. Rain all day here, we just had a quiet day at home so I wasn't worried as we didn't have to go out in it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The forecast here is bright, dry and cold. I do not mind what it does, once I have seen Fran on to her train and walked the dogs I will be in the warm sewing.

      Delete
  3. Very pretty pattern. Look forward to seeing the finished version. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite excited to get this finished, I plan on a queen sized version for my Christmas gift list.

      Delete
  4. Loving the quilt, it will look fab x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the little HST's all over my table now, waiting to be put into a pattern. I have the backing and just need to decide on the binding.

      Delete
  5. Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in such a hurry to get this made, I do not know why it has taken me so long, there was a time when patchwork chevrons were everywhere.

      Delete
  6. I really like that pattern Pam. I have been gifted a cutting mat, rotary cutter and quilting ruler by a very kind ' friend I've never met' , so I'll be able to make things like this now. My daughter and SIL's friends are expecting their first baby in April, so a play quilt in that design could be on the cards, or am I being too ambitious?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all, HST are a simple way to make patterns with fabric, you just have to measure and cut carefully and use a consistent seam allowance. It does not have to be a perfect 1/4" just the same on every seam. You can use any size square that you want, I used what I had but plan on making one with 10" squares at some point. If you would like it I have a pile of vintage sheet charms, I have used so many that I have run out of ideas. I am more than happy to send them off to you, just drop me an email.

      Delete
  7. Quilting is something I never yet had a go at. I was hoping to find some nice fabrics to make a toddler sized, but very easy quilt for my little Alyssa. Her second birthday is on April the 4th, so I`m hoping to be able to finish it by then. Wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quilting is a marvellous hobby, it can be done without too much expense. I use lots of fabric from curtains and bed linen, all from the CS. You get a massive amount of fabric from a large duvet cover, I picked a brand new set for less than £5 recently, it had 4 pillowcases as well so 4 more dog beds. It is much easier if you have a cutting mat, quilters ruler and a rotary cutter. There are starter packs available and it is worth having a look on Ebay.

      Delete
  8. Ah yes. Sean Connery is the only James Bond as far as i'm concerned. Mmm.. barbecueish sauce with pasta sounds absolutely yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious, I started the sauce in the normal way by sweating a pile of chopped onion, celery and peppers in a little oil, I added a carrot for sweetness and then a few odd bits of cooking bacon (very cheap in Lidl) this was all blitzed into the final sauce and was extremely tasty, the bacon gave it some depth.

      Delete
  9. I love hst's too. They are so versatile and you can use up scraps. I am currently making a teepee, using stash fabric. It would be perfect for a scrappy project and much cheaper than the ones they sell. It is so much fun, just like being a child again, thinking of cute accessories, like a flag pole, bunting, a porthole window, window flower box etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a pattern in a book for a tepee, I am thinking of making it for the grands this summer.

      Delete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.