Followers

Thursday 17 September 2015

A day in the sun and a new swap to join.

Such excitement, Jo at Through The Keyhole is hosting a 12 Days of Christmas Swap. The idea is that you source 12 gifts, max value of each £2, and wrap all separately. Go and have a look for the details.
 You can do a bit of lurking round your partners blog ( you need a blog to take part) to chose things your swap partner would like. The idea is that one is opened on each of the 12 days, I have opted to swap worldwide but you can just keep to the UK. I love choosing gifts and wrapping and tarting the parcels up. 
BTW I am knitting the Blackberry Beanie in her sidebar, it will be my third. Very easy and quick to knit and lovely to wear. I started my crochet last night, just little 4 round solid colour squares, when I start to sew together I am planning on making a few 4 times as big to dot around here and there. Well I plan to try anyway, if I fail I may well contact Lucy at Attic24 for help, she is a whizz at crochet.

Now to food.
My cheese whirls take;
6 cups of plain flour with 2 tsp instant yeast, 2 tsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, 
1 tsp mustard powder. I just dump it in the mixer bowl and give it a quick whisk to mix thoroughly. Then put the bowl in the mixer with the dough hook attached, set it going on 1 and gradually add warm water and 4 oz melted butter till it forms a dough. Leave to knead for 5-10 minutes. I then turn into a bowl, cover and leave to double in size.
Turn out onto a board and punch down, roll out to an oblong as thin as you like, melt a dollop of butter and brush over the top then sprinkle enough grated cheese to cover, a shake of paprika or cayenne is nice, sometimes I mix a little whole grain mustard in with the butter.
Roll up like a swiss roll as tight as you can and cut into slices, no wider than an inch. Place in a lined tin with room to spread a bit, leave to prove and then cook at 180c for around 15 minutes. I brush with a little melted butter and garlic powder when they come out.

The cinnamon rolls are very similar, I make a half batch, too moreish for a whole one.

So, 3 cups plain flour, 1 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 heaped tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp yeast, a quick whisk and into the mixer with warm water and 2 oz melted butter. Knead and prove till double in size.

Roll out as before then spread with a mix of;
4oz butter, 4 heaped tsp cinnamon, a good glug of maple syrup or 2 oz soft brown sugar, enough dried mixed fruit or sultanas to cover the dough. I am guilty of not weighing this out, I just chuck it in a bowl and mix till it looks right, spreadable but not runny.
Roll up and slice, into a tin and prove, then cook at 180c for around 15 minutes. The timing depends on your oven and how thick the slices are.
When cooked I brush with more maple syrup and sprinkle with chopped walnuts or pecans then back in oven for about 2 minutes.
Sometimes I make a glaze of icing sugar, cream cheese and maple syrup and pour over but this takes it in to the realms of fantasy.

These do open freeze well and microwave wonderfully, I can assure you that a warm cinnamon whirl with a scoop of good ice cream is sublime.

I do change both nearly every time I make them, herbs and or finely chopped onion in the cheese ones, different spices and or fruit in the sweet ones.

Now I have made myself hungry, so am off to make some muesli.

                 TTFN                                                    Pam

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't done a swap before, so this will be my first one, I'm quite excited! Thank you for sharing those delicious recipes xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swaps are fun, I used to do a lot at one time but keep it to 2 or 3 a year now.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for mentioning my swap, we've got quite a few people joining in but it would be great to have some more. The Blackberry Beanie is a great, easy pattern, isn't it? I might make another one in another colour for Eleanor ready for winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope there are some international peeps joining the fun, I know that shipping costs are a factor but you can choose lightweight goodies.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the recipes Pam, I just need to buy some yeast. I'm taking part in Jo's swap too it's such a great idea x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to finding who my swap partner is.

      Delete
  5. I've been over to Jo's post and am almost decided I'm in, but it is a manic time of the year and I'm wondering already about finding 12 things!! Let me have another think!
    Your cinammon rolls sound divine Pam x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it is busy in school, I remember it all too well. thousands of cakes and biscuits, fancy dress and nativity costumes, decorations etc etc etc.

      Delete
  6. I'm in for the swap too..think the recipes look good Pam , will have to given the cheese ones a ho next week. Maria xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to it all, I will be making some more cheesy ones and adding fresh herbs and crisped up bacon crumbled up.They will go in the freezer ready for visitors, much nicer warmed up in the microwave than pastry.

      Delete
  7. I am not doing a swap this year I loved taking part last year in the christmas swap but I am a bit snowed under with sewing orders and a couple of craft fairs this year.
    Those cinnamon swirls sound lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having looked at all the things you are making I can understand that, I want to come to the fair next month.

      Delete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.