Followers

Wednesday 30 September 2015

Restaurant in my garden

I have been a busy bee for the past few days, most of the garden has been cleared and bare soil covered with compost, manure and weed proof fabric. I hope that the worms will take all the additions down into the ground and in the spring it will just need a quick once over before planting.
Most of my bulbs are in troughs, there is just a pack of Narcissi and 50 Muscari bulbs to go in, I need to contain the Muscari or they will take over.
One of the new raised beds now has Spring Cabbage and Curly Kale in it, and a jacket of fleece to keep the cabbage whites off.


The 24 plants are spaced out so I can plant garlic between them, I still have to get that.


This is the new restaurant, all I need to do is buy a stock of wild bird food and make some fat balls, well cubes really as I set the mix in a square tin and just chop it up. I add meal worms for added nutrition when the weather is hard. The little square sticking out in front is for fresh water.. I will hang nets of food under as well.

The Oca that Dawn, Doing it for ourselves in Wales, gave me have flourished. In the bright sunshine they open their very pretty little flowers.


I am looking forward to tipping them out and seeing what I have, I plan on saving some of the tubers to grow next year.


I have been knitting in the evenings, as well as crochet, this little scarf to go with the beanie that I made last week.



This one in a different colour, and will be starting a beanie tonight to go with it. I need to find a new glove pattern, mine has taken itself off somewhere.

I had a nasty turn on Sunday morning, I came into the kitchen to get the kettle on. I did not bother with the light, just pulled the curtains and in my peripheral vision saw this.


I froze, it did not move, I took a step, it still did not move. I turned the light on and hey presto the mouse became a leaf, phew.
Once my heart rate went to normal I made the tea and took it back to bed for a while. 



I have been given a subscription to Mollie Makes, lovely, this was advertised inside, but as I had not taken it out myself did not give it another thought.

Well today it arrived, a pretty little machine, just the job for a learner.
I am going to thread it up tomorrow and try it out, if it works well it may become a giveaway.
I feel that I must ask my benefactor if they want it, I will keep you informed.

Did you look at my huge baked beans on my other blog, this is what I did with the left overs.


I layered them up with thinly sliced raw sweet potato, three layers of each finishing with potatoes. Dabbed a little butter on the top and cooked in the oven for 30 minutes.


Served with steamed greens it was an amazing meal, very filling and soooooo tasty.

I have a new recipe to get on the other blog so.


                        TTFN                                            Pam



18 comments:

  1. I love all the garden works- have you had this wonderful weather we've been getting down South? Perfect for working in the garden in. I shall pick up my knitting needles soon too :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased to say that we have been basking in the sun, and should continue for another few days.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I managed some sitting down time as well.

      Delete
  3. Oh Pam! You get so much accomplished! You put me to shame! I love the garden restaurant. The mouse story is cute. I've done the same thing, in fact this morning got the binoculars out. I thought there was a little dead animal outside the kitchen window. It turned out to be a big gray leaf. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have days when I do not stop but then I have the days when I do n ot get started.

      Delete
  4. Other blog?? Other blog? I've missed something! I need to catch up! I laughed out loud at your heart stopping mouse moment - I've had a few tomato stalk spider moments !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, been there, done that, The bad times are when just as you realise that it is a tomato stalk it walks.

      Delete
  5. Found it, commented, followed!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like the birds are going to be well fed in your garden over winter. I know many people feed the birds but lots of people forget to put water out for them too, it's so important so I'm glad you've got that incorporated in your restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My garden at Tydd was always full of birds, I grew a Pyracantha hedge for them. I have left the smaller fruit on m y apple trees for them and will be upping the amount and quality of the food as the winter sets in. The cat situation seems to have resolved itself, my visitor cat has defended her rights to exclusive use of the amenities and the table will not be easy for her to get to. I have always put water out, when it is freezing I change it 2 or 3 times a day.

      Delete
  7. We are certainly blessed with some wonderful weather at the moment, I have managed to get my garden prepared for the winter too. A great feeling to know that it is done. Love the new restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the little scarves you made to match your hats. Wow, I've never heard of a magazine giving a free little machine for subscribing. Don't you have little girls in the family that might like to learn to sew when they come to visit?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What pretty scarves, lovely colors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Living in Australia and often being outdoors my occasional heart stopping moments are the fallen branches that are the same shape as a snake......,

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your bird restaurant - I'm sure it won't be long before you have some customers. You have been very busy too knitting and cooking. The colours of the scarves are lovely.
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  12. The 'restaurant' is fantastic. Good and sturdy. I love the knitted scarves too - so cute. X

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh you have been busy, sounds as though you are back to feeling like yourself again. I am glad for you! xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.