Followers

Saturday 19 September 2015

The Time Has Come, The Walrus Said

To speak of many things, but not ships or shoes and no cabbages or Kings.

I did not make it to the Boar Festival today, a bad night being the main reason, I am going tomorrow.
However I have not been idle, 2 Kg of veg has been chopped small and put into salt, this will make sandwich piccalilli.


A jar each of sweet pickled cucumber and fine sliced onion and garlic pickle have been made.



I used black peppercorns and whole Allspice Berries to flavour them.

Then I chopped up some of the smallest apples off my trees and got a batch of  Apple Cider Vinegar started, this was straight from Dawn at Doing It For Ourselves in Wales. I have never made it before and as I use lots of cider vinegar it should save me a pretty penny.



My hat is coming along nicely, nearly ready to start the shaping.


I have made 6 of the crochet squares, I aim to make 15 in each colour.





As you see, I have plenty to go at, this is an Attic24 wool pack, the third that I have bought. They are very good value and saves me anguishing over colour choice, I just buy a couple of extra colours to change it slightly.

When I was at the Festival of Quilts, I signed up for a suscription to a new quilting mag, I got the first one today, I LIKE IT.



It came with a supplement about Kaffe Fasset, I remember knitting some of his patterns years ago, brilliant patterns in glorious colours. His fabrics are just the same and so are his quilt patterns.



Gorgeous quilts and a few pages of templates to photocopy and they are all the right size, none of this "Enlarge by 133% squit!"


There is a BOM to make, I like this block but it will have to join the queue.



Finally I thought I would share my Lilies, I bought them last weekend in Tesco, reduced to 20p, there was 1 bloom open then. The leaves that look as though they are reaching out to hug them belong to a Banana, it is meant to be a slow growing miniature, but I think it is a Triffid in disguise. The rate it is growing at it will be too big for the house within a year.

That,s it for now, I am making Kofta Kebabs for dinner, enough for 3. It was going to be Shepherds Pie, then I watched Rick Stein making these and I was done for.

                       TTFN                                            Pam


21 comments:

  1. You've been busy. Those Kaffe Fasset designs look gorgeous.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I think you should do a recipes page, you are so versatile. Keep us posted on your sandwich piccalilli.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have a look at Frugal in Norfolk and see how it is done.

      Delete
  3. I woke up feeling like I'd run a marathan instead of sleeping, so you have my sympathies over your bad night. Lovely magazine, lovely wool (I follow Lucy's blog too, just for the colour hit in the middle of winter!) I love your crochet squares - very neat. The only "crafting" I have done lately was a repair on a jacket of Keith's and I managed to do that wrong, so had to unpick it. Think my brain is addled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have disasters, just dismiss and move on. I am enjoying making the squares, no ends to darn in, I am leaving long tails to sew them together with.

      Delete
  4. I struggled to get out of bed this morning too, it must be the weather. Enjoy your trip to the festival tomorrow. You have certainly had a productive day despite a bad night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that if I kept busy i might sleep better that night, and it worked.

      Delete
  5. What a productive day you've had. Love the colours of your hat. I also enjoy Lucy's blog, such an aspiration.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Lucy who got me back into crochet, I struggled a bit and am no expert, but love it.

      Delete
  6. Bad nights sleep here to, it was 3am last I looked at the clock and then a non stop action packed day to boot, your pickles look good and the quilt magazine looks interesting too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The magazine is very good, I signed up for the first 3 copies, I will wait till I have seen them before committing to a full subscription.

      Delete
  7. I love it when templates are just the right size from the start too. I love lamb koftas with couscous and salad. A very healthy tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very healthy and very tasty, I had enough of the mix to make a lamb and chickpea curry/tagine type dish, this will be scooped up with flatbreads during the week.

      Delete
  8. That wool has me salivating! Looking forward to seeing it all knitted up xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm it will take a while, even if I manage 2 squares a day on average.

      Delete
  9. Busy woman! I'm going to do some apple cider vinegar too, Dawn has some really good, simple and cheap recipes doesn't she? I do like Stylecraft Special yarn and yes Attic24 packs are very good value....I like the lovely bags the yarn comes in too, very durable and versatile (OH has already asked if he can have one as an onion sack!). Hope you have a good day at the boar festival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My apples just would not go brown quick enough, it must have taken well over an hour and they were still only a little discoloured. I use the bags for storage and for gifts.

      Delete
  10. I get so put off when I have to resize templates. Some beautiful coloured wool there xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a chart in the new magazine to use for resizing but it is still an annoyance.

      Delete
  11. I never thought of preserving our cucumbers in vinegar. Some have already gone to waste, but I'll slice up the 3 hubby brought from the garden yesterday and pickle them!
    Teresa x

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.